Hello,
   Let me start by saying using SQLite in Tcl is a real pleasure!

I am having a problem determining when to use $ and when to use @ (and maybe I
should use :, but I haven't tried it).

I have three tables: terrain(x,y), detail(id integer primary key autoincrement,
x, y), and units(id ipka, detailId foreign)
(there are other fields but they are all untyped and not used for anything but
filtering and retrieval).

I started using $ everywhere, but sometimes had problems where I needed a layer
of [subst] before calling eval.

Then, I converted everything to @, but then some queries wouldn't match.  I
needed to replace = with like, or insert casts.

Right now, I have a mix of @ and $.  I use @ for inserts and matches on most
fields.  I use $ to match detail.id and units.id.  Comparing detail.id and
units.detailId requires a cast (because I insert into units.detailId with @).
Also, I seem to be unable to match columns to string constants (I guess,
because
everything is a blob).

It seems to be related to the "impedance mismatch" mentioned on the Tcl wiki.

Is there some document that describes a best known method for dealing with all
this?

Thanks!
Ned