This is off-charter for this list but I hope the listmom will indulge me since
it's the sort of thing people here know.

We've already established that it's impossible to implement a simple function
to sort unicode strings into order.  But I wondered whether there were patterns
in the unicode which made it simple to ignore string case.  Presumably this
would work by turning a string into upper case.  It doesn't have to be
extremely fussy and cope with all strange cases in all languages, but it should
cope properly with accented latin characters and any other simple cases.

Simon.