On 10 Aug 2011, at 6:01pm, Sreekumar TP wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation. The journal mode was OFF  which means there is
> no journal file created. So why is it the check still performed ?

 Because the journal mode might have been 'ON' the last time that database was
used.

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Sreekumar TP <sreekumar...@gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> The 179148 failures on 'access' system call is due to access check of two
>>> files - the journal file and the wal-file.

Well, the file is obviously not being opened 179148 times.  I thought it
checked for these files only when sqlite3_open() was being run.  Is it checking
for these files every time a command is executed ?  Surely that is unnecessary
and a source of a large reduction in speed.

Simon.