On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Nuno Lucas <ntlu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Only C99 come with the «stdint.h» header which would define the
> "int64_t" and "uint64_t" types, if supported by the platform (one way
> to check is to verify if the INT64_MAX macro is defined).

Now that you mention it: in several of my own C89-based projects i have
added the explicit disclaimer "requires the C99 stdint.h" (which also works
in C89 mode, at least on gcc). i had forgotten about that.

> If I remember correctly, you can use the <stdint.h> header in C89 mode
> with the Linux libc, so you could workaround with that in mind.

Yes, you can. i do it all the time, along with <inttypes.h> for the standard
printf/scanf format specifiers (but _those_ don't support int64_t on 32-bit
platforms in C89 mode, in my experience).

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/