2011/10/19 Fabian <fabianpi...@gmail.com>:
> I always do inserts in batches of 100.000 rows, and after each batch I
> manually merge the b-trees using:
>
>  INSERT INTO table(table) VALUES('optimize');
>
> Is there a possibility that it will do automatic maintenance half-way during
> a batch? Or will it always wait untill the transaction is finished?

I think you are victim of the premature optimization :)

See documentation:
"several different b-trees that are incrementally merged as rows are inserted,
updated and deleted. This technique improves performance when writing to an
FTS table, but causes some overhead for full-text queries that use the index."

So you can work with a big FTS tables without using the "optimize" method.
I use some FTS tables with tens of millions records and effect of the
"optimize"
isn't measurable.

--
Best regards, Alexey Pechnikov.