You need to provide some more info...

#1 What version?

#2 How long to insert the 1M?

#3 What's the average string size?

#5 How long to create the index?

#6 How long to insert the next 10,000?

And your stated problem is simple enough you should be able to create a
complete stand-alone example so we can all see and test what you're
(presumably) doing wrong.

Michael D. Black

Senior Scientist

Advanced Analytics Directorate

Advanced GEOINT Solutions Operating Unit

Northrop Grumman Information Systems