On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 8 Nov 2011, at 10:50pm, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>
>> In R, the RSQLite driver for SQLite currently has
>> SQLITE_MAX_VARIABLE_NUMBER set to 999.  This is used by many people
>> for many different projects and on different platforms and it seems
>> that a number of these projects want a larger number.
>
> What sort of statements are R users doing which might require binding a
> thousand variables to one statement ?  I can't think of any situation like
> this that doesn't indicate an insane schema which should be normalised.

Anyone who uses R could be using this so we don't really know.  We do
know that there seems to be multiple requests for increasing the
limit.

R is used for analyzing data and when when one is doing that one does
not always generate the data oneself but receives it from an external
source.  This may include files which may be too large to read into R
or might fit in but are too slow to read into R.  They might be read
into a database and then a portion read into R from the database.

One could imagine the rows might represent individuals and the columns
might represent a large number of genes.  Or perhaps each row is an
individual and each column is a health marker.  Or each row is a time
point and each column is a security.

Typically such users must use a different database but would have
preferred to use SQLite hence the question of what are the
considerations of coming up with a single SQLITE_MAX_VARIABLE_NUMBER
that everyone is stuck with.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.