On 16 Nov 2011, at 6:10pm, Thierry wrote:

> I plan to use a sqlite3 database over NFS: 2 clients use a shared Sqlite3
> database file.
>
> But sqlite FAQ alert about this use: "But use caution: this locking
> mechanism might not work correctly if the database file is kept on an NFS
> filesystem. This is because fcntl() file locking is broken on many NFS
> implementations."
>
> Is this warning still pertinent with newest NFS and sqlite3 implementations
> ?
> Is NFS 4 solve this problem ?
> Is there a scenario to test potential issue ?

Yes.  No.  Don't bother.    File locking just doesn't work properly over NFS.

If both clients are doing only reading, you're probably okay, but writes don't
lock when they should.  You might also like to do a search for 'NFS' in

<http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html>

and read that part of it.

Simon.