I am using multi threads but using single thread to test the speed. And
when I do typeof(hid), it gives "real".

Table is indexed on that column. I dont have a primary key, will that make
any difference?

Gaurav

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2011, at 7:45am, Gaurav Vyas wrote:
>
> > I am trying to get a chunk of rows from a table which has 16 million
> rows.
> > The table is indexed. I am passing the query as "SELECT * FROM persons
> > WHERE hid = 5;" and it takes a few minutes to get me the results. Can
> > anyone suggest how to make it faster?
>
> Is the table indexed on that column ?
>
> Are you doing anything involving multi-user, multi-thread, or
> multi-process ?
>
> What type of values are stored in that column ?  In other words, if you do
> something like
>
> SELECT hid,typeof(hid) FROM persons WHERE hid = 5
>
> what does it give for the 'typeof()' ?
>
> Simon.

Gaurav Vyas
Graduate Research Assistant, Transportation Engineering
University of Texas at Austin