Matt Young <youngsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used the strcpy_s function from Microsoft, the so called safe version
> that includes a char count. I used it under the Studio debugger.  Set a
> buffer of 200 chars to zero, set the char count to 20 in strcpy_s, and the
> debugger wrote in the top 180!!

As per documentation: "The debug versions of these functions first fill the
buffer with 0xFD. To disable this behavior, use _CrtSetDebugFillThreshold."
This is to make buffer overruns easier to spot under debugger. If you see a
variable unexpectedly overwritten with 0xFD pattern, chances are high you are
passing incorrect buffer length to strcpy_s or similar, and the buffer happens
to be located in memory right before that varible.
--
Igor Tandetnik