On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:10:39 -0800
Roger Binns <rogerb-jfdgoz7s+bwwqnjq7v0...@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Just start using SQLite and see what happens.

Good one. We'll try to (artificially) populate our sqlite database and
then play with it.

> You don't have to use an ORM.  And if you don't use one, you'll
> eventually see if you need one and what functionality it needs.

After reading The Vietnam of Computer Science it definitely looks to me
that using OOP costs too much for not much gain and we'll try to produce
more FP-oriented code.

> I do have two other recommendations.  The first is to ensure you have
> a sensible way of testing.  A layer between your code and the
> database may make that easier or harder - validate up front that it
> will be the former.

I believe one layer less is better in our case. :-)

> The second is to ensure you have an undo mechanism, as this will
> affect your schema and triggers.  One thing I worked on didn't even
> have a 'save' menu item.  Every action you did resulted in a database
> change.  You could easily undo these.  You could also see of the
> objects as they were at any prior point in time, being able to undo
> or redo any change.

That sounds great, although atm I'm not sure how to tackle it, although
it seems that Richard is giving some nice advice in regard.

Sincerely,
Gour

- --
What is night for all beings is the time of awakening
for the self-controlled; and the time of awakening for
all beings is night for the introspective sage.