On 2 Mar 2012, at 4:59pm, "Rose, John B" <jbr...@utk.edu> wrote:

> Someone else in our group came across something called "ContentProvider" and
> is under the impression we have to do some file conversion of the .db file
> use ContenProvider somehow if we want to use the original .db file created
> on our desktop. Frankly we are not understanding it.
>
> I had assumed we just moved the .db file back and forth between our desktop
> and Android and the simplicity is part of the "coolness" of SQLite.

That is the way things should work.  The SQLite file format is specially
designed to be the same on every platform.  If anything requires a database
file to be converted into another format I don't think Doctor Hipp would accept
it as genuine SQLite.

What ContentProvider is, as far as I can work out, is a way of accessing a
SQLite database file in a form convenient for Android apps.  An alternative to
using the SQLite API as downloadable from the SQLite site.  But I'm not an
Android programmer so I don't know.

Simon.