CREATE UNIQUE INDEX IF NOT EXISTS 'userIdentityByUcgID'    ON
'user_identity' (shortName ASC, ucgID ASC);

As a general rule you should reserve single quotes to string litterals. Either leave schema names alone (no whitespace, not keyword) or use [my pretty table], "my favorite table", `my non-standard unique index on (int) table, that I myself made for me only`.

The problem is that a customer has a database where (shortName, ucgID)
have duplicates.

- When I try to insert manually a new record, the index is enforced;
- When I try to update a column, the index is enforced;
- If I try to reindex the table, it fails;
- If I drop the index and try to add it again, it fails.

What does an integrity check say?

At this point I really have no idea of what could have caused that.

An hex editor?