Alessandro Marzocchi <alessandro.marzoc...@gmail.com> writes:

> What does EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN says?

sqlite> EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN SELECT min(unix_time) FROM table;
0|0|0|SEARCH TABLE table USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (~1 rows)

sqlite> EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN SELECT max(unix_time) FROM table;
0|0|0|SEARCH TABLE table USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (~1 rows)

sqlite> EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN SELECT min(unix_time), max(unix_time) FROM table;
0|0|0|SCAN TABLE table (~1000000 rows)

I suppose a query for a single min/max gets optimised, while a query
involving multiple columns doesn't.

I have a much bigger table as well, and on that one the speedup is in
the millions to run two SELECTs.  It's hard to guess that there will
be such a difference, but I suppose I should be happy that there is at
least an optimised way to get min and max for the integer primary key.

--
Steinar