I've downloaded and compiled icu.c according to the instructions in the included README (though I had to add -fPIC to the compiler options).

Now, when searching a table, I'm not getting the kind of diacritic-insensitive behavior I was expecting:

sqlite> .load lib/libSQLiteICU.so
sqlite> select * from owner where firstname like '%dré%';
id    firstname      last  emai  phon  netid
2     André-Marie   Ampère  amp...@example.com  555-2222  ampere
sqlite> select * from owner where firstname like '%dre%';
sqlite>

I expected both statements to return the same result. Am I overlooking something or do I misunderstand the capabilities of ICU's "unicode-aware LIKE operator"?