On 15 Jun 2012, at 10:45, Udi Karni wrote:

> Niall - thanks. If I understand correctly - you use bash to do the
> preprocessing of the substitutions and submit the prepared statements to
> Sqlite.

        Well, 'prepared' is not the term I would use, as it has a specific
        meaning in the context of SQLite (or other SQL implementations).

        Bash does make substitutions in the 'pre-scripted' (for want of a
        better term) block delimited by '<<EOF' and 'EOF' before passing
        the modified text to sqlite3 as input.  I understand that other
        shells can do likewise, but bash is the one I'm familiar with.

        So, yes and no ... 8-)

        Good luck!
        Niall O'Reilly