I am fairly new to database development and I am working on an embedded system
where we are utilizing SQLite to manage some files and other information that
is being shared between processes.  What I am doing is I have the SQLite
amalgamation source code that I am compiling into each binary executable and
each executable is opening the same database file on disk.

My question is this: is this the appropriate way to go about this?  Is there a
better way to accomplish this task?  If I continue down this path, are there
are particular settings that I need to set?

I have read through a lot of the documentation and it seems like I may want to
put the database in shared-cache mode, however that also seems to only apply to
threads within a single process.  Is that correct?

I am also thinking that I may want to make use of the sqlite_unlock_notify()
call to ensure that if I try to write to the database and it fails to get a
lock, it will pend until it is available.  However, I thought that a query
would pend until it gets a lock anyway.  Is that not the case?

Thanks for the help and sorry for being such a noob.

Jonathan