I wonder if it would be possible to refine the cache locking mechanism.

If I understand the modified DB/Table locking semantics when running under a
shared-cache, it appears that the cache page should be protected against
readers and writers.

Perhaps only the list of pages in the cache need to be protected by a
higher-level mutex?  That is, if you want access to a page, you grab the mutex,
flag the page as 'in-use' with a reference counter, release the mutex, and go
on about your business.  If you have multiple readers, they would be able to
access the physical page concurrently.  When access is complete, the reference
count would be decremented.

Marc