Many thanks to all of you who took the time to correct my misunderstanding of
basic SQL.

I ran a little test in PostgreSQL (which is the quickest thing I have to play
with), and of course, you are all correct and the query does work as designed.
I was trying to figure out how to think about it, and I think I understand now.
  In general, the database engine will walk through the target table,  evaluate
the right side of the equal sign, and assign the result to the target column
specified in the left side.  Simple.  I don't know why it didn't seem so simple
yesterday.

RobR