On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Hamish Symington
<ham...@lightbluesoftware.com> wrote:
>> Note that I was mistaken earlier when I said that "X=Y" and "Y=X" should
>> result in the same answer.  If X and Y have different default collating
>> sequences, then X=Y does not mean the same thing as Y=X and so the answers
>> can be different.
> Right, I understand. Perhaps a brief note on the docs for the query optimizer
> to remind people of this might be worth it - it seems slightly
> counterintuitive, from a 'normal' user's point of view.

Usage of appropriate collating function is not an optimizer feature,
it's property of SQLite data types. And it's well documented here
http://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html (see section 6.1). Whether
optimizer chooses to use index or not depending on collating function
is also well documented.

Pavel