On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Ryan Johnson
<ryan.john...@cs.utoronto.ca> wrote:
> On 14/10/2012 2:26 PM, Pavel Ivanov wrote:
>>>
>>> What kind of interpreter does the query executor uses? How important is
>>> the
>>> interpreter's speed, to SQLite's speed ?
>>
>> SQLite doesn't have interpreter, it has parser. I guess this makes the
>> rest of your email inapplicable.
>
> Umm... yes it does. http://www.sqlite.org/vdbe.html

Maybe there's some conflict of terminology here. But as I understand
it converting SQL query into a set of opcodes representing all
operations needed to execute the query and then executing these
opcodes is not interpreting, it's parsing. Interpreting is more
related to some full-blown execution languages like python, perl,
javascript or something like that. These languages indeed require some
technologies like JIT. But they are not applicable to SQL. Maybe only
to PL/SQL-like language, but it doesn't exist in SQLite.

Pavel