On 16 Oct 2012, at 6:50pm, LMHmedchem <lmh_users-gro...@molconn.com> wrote:

> Some of
> the other tables are fairly large (500-2500 cols)

A table with 500 columns is itself a bad sign.  You should be able to think
about the entire table makeup in your head without needing to refer to written
documentation.  Having hundreds of numbered columns, especially, is a sign that
you didn't think your schema through.

> In my spreadsheet
> way of thinking, that is having a single primary key that is used in
> multiple tables. I'm trying to learn to think "database" and not
> "spreadsheet".

Right.  Your database is not a spreadsheet.  You don't have to lay out
everything into one rectangular grid, you can have multiple tables.

Refactor your database to make this table into a narrower set of data, either
by splitting it into attributes or by implementing the hierarchy that it
probably represents.  Once you've done this your problem with zeroblobs will
vanish.  You will probably find that you don't need those rows at all, or that
all the zeroblobs are all inherently at the end of rows.

Simon.