Since my last question was not answered but instead another statement
was made which I don't understand, I feel the need to reformulate my
question to this: Why is it that SQLite can only support ALTER TABLE
statements "that can be accomplished without having to rewrite the
entire table"? [1] This includes statements to drop single columns out
of a table. I understand that doing this might cause a considerable
delay during which the database is not available, but the same applies
to the VACUUM statement and that is very well supported. Could somebody
maybe enlighten me?

If the developers deciding what SQLite can do and what not would state
that they do not want, for personal reasons they don't want to disclose,
to implement that particular feature, that's fine. But if that's the
case, I'd be happy to hear that. Also, if there's a technical limitation
preventing this, I'd like to understand it. Having no answer at all is a
bit frustrating...

[1] Richard Hipp, 2012-10-08 22:12 +0200, on this mailing list

--
Yves Goergen - nospam.l...@unclassified.de - http://unclassified.de