Hello David,

In /control panel/system/device manager/disk
drives/properties/Policies you can disable the windows "write cache
buffer flush" to the drive. I wonder if this would make a difference?

My machine is on a UPS so, I always disable it. I tend to disable it
on laptops too. I know it's probably not a real solution but, I wonder
if the lack of write buffering is why you see what you see.

DdR> Nope, I ran the tests both in Parallels and rebooting directly
DdR> into boot camp (basically native windows), and had essentially
DdR> identical performance (+/- 2%, within noise level differences).
DdR> It also echoes the performance difference I'd been seeing on the
DdR> database side just watching the real app run on iOS and on my
DdR> other non-Apple native windows box.  Interesting little find,
DdR> nonetheless, thanks for that. :)

DdR> To Alex: Unfortunately, Windows is a core platform for us.  We
DdR> can't really just tell them to buzz off, so it's either figure
DdR> out how to improve SQLite performance or switch DB engines, at least on
that platform...

[michael.bla...@ngc.com]

http://mattgadient.com/2011/02/18/mac-os-x-slow-for-10-15-minutes-after-boot-the-fix/

DdR> Michael D. Black
DdR> Senior Scientist
DdR> Advanced Analytics Directorate
DdR> Advanced GEOINT Solutions Operating Unit
DdR> Northrop Grumman Information Systems

DdR> ________________________________________

the iOS simulator:

DdR> With defaults (pragma sync = on, default journal_mode):
DdR> Windows: 2500ms
DdR> iOS: 300ms
DdR> OSX: 280ms

DdR> With pragma sync = off, journal_mode = memory:
DdR> Windows: 62ms
DdR> iOS: 25ms
DdR> OSX: 25ms

DdR> Turning off sync doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about our
DdR> lost-power scenario, so with sync on, it seems like something
DdR> must be fishy for it to be ~8-9x slower than the other platforms.
DdR> Is there something ridiculous about the windows file system
DdR> performance that hoses sqlite's open/read/write/close transaction
DdR> cycle?  Is there anything I can do, or just accept it and move
DdR> on?  With how that scales up, we may need to move to something
DdR> like using embedded MySQL or LocalDB on Windows to get the same
DdR> performance as we see with SQLite on other platforms, which seems quite
ridiculous.

DdR> Thanks!
DdR> -David

Best regards,