Hi Richard

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
> The $dir will contain initial database contents and scripts of SQL
> statements that were run.  You can rerun those SQL statement using the
> command-line shell to find slow ones, then do things like EXPLAIN QUERY
> PLAN to figure out why they are slow and perhaps fix them by adding indices.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. I actually know the
queries, because the application logs both the SQL and times. They are
simple SQL statements, eg "insert into table_a (...) values (...)" or
"update table_a set aaa='...' where bbb='...'".

I just tried enabling the write-cache of the drive, and the warn logs
disappeared. So, I know that somehow the OS/filesystem/disk setup is
blocking the inserts/updates quite severely for sqlite (but not for
MySQL). Is there anything else I can do to improve the situation?
Ideally I would like to understand what is happening under the hood of
sqlite, to improve my understanding of the difference between the 2
DBs.

Any other ideas for me to trace this at a lower level would be greatly
appreciated. I think I will need to get deeper into linux's block
layer stuff, so perhaps this is not the correct place to ask the
question, but I thought I'd start here.

Regards
Keith