* Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> [121216 15:07]:

> On 16 Dec 2012, at 11:10pm, Tim Johnson <t...@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I've recently set up drupal on my workstation which is hosting Mac
> > OSX 10.7. I would welcome
> > 1)Recommendations on what I should install to manage sqlite
> > 2)How they should be installed
> >  NOTE: macports works well for me but alternative suggestions are
> >  welcomed.
> > The macports list re sqlite can be seen here :
> > http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=sqlite

> While as a Linux-user you expect to see DarwinPorts, MacPorts,
> Fink, Homebrew and/or other package managers, it might help to
> know that Mac-users don't think in those terms.
  :) Well this mac user users a generous portion of macports.
  postfix, fetchmail, mutt, procmail, mc and vim to name some..
  But I got macvim as a stand-alone install for the gui version of
  vim. I am actually pretty new to mac going on a year now.
  (12 years on linux)

> There is almost no library-sharing on Macs.  The two big
> collections of shared libraries are the ones which Apple supplies
> with OS X and the ones which Microsoft supplies with its Office
> suite.  Normal professional and hobby programmers will use Apple's
> libraries intensively, and never use Microsoft's libraries unless
> they're specifically interfacing with Microsoft's stuff.  A
> mundane Mac user hit with "This app requires jcrak and visdis."
> wouldn't know what to do about it.
  Yeah, I've got that, after years on linux ....
<...>
> SQLite on a Mac has standard Mac behaviour here.  As a programmer
> you aren't expected to use a library.  You can download up-to-date
> source files for SQLite 'Amalgamated' version from the SQLite
> server

> <http://www.sqlite.org/download.html>
  Oh good! Thank you.
<...>
> But actually SQLite is used so much on Macs that Apple included a
> copy of the shell tool with the OS.  You'll find a copy of the
> sqlite3 shell tool as

> /usr/bin/sqlite3
  Duh. I didn't even think to look and thar she blows ...

> Apple's Developer Tools installations include copies of the .h and
> .c files (many many copies of the .h file) but I recommend that
> you just grab new ones from the SQLite server whenever you start a
> new project.  That way you get all the recent features and
> bugfixes.
  Good tip.
  And I have python with sqlite3 as a module in the standard
  distro....

  Thanks again. I really appreciate the tips.
  Your entire email is going into my knowledgebase.
  I owe you a beer.
--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com