You may be hitting the memory fragmentation issue. Try to run your
application with different memory managers (Hoard is my favorite -
http://www.hoard.org/) and see if the memory consumption is the same.

Also if you close all connections to your database (and other SQLite
databases too) does amount of used memory get lower?

Pavel