On Mar 5, 2013, at 8:19 AM, James K. Lowden <jklow...@schemamania.org> wrote:

>> Postgresql has also had them for a while.
>
> Yes, and if I'm not mistaken Ingres's QUEL had them long before that.

Yes, many databases have them, from Postgres, MSSQL, Sybase IQ, some flavor of
DB2, to Oracle, etc, ...

> (I see Microsoft calls some of them e.g.. PERCENTILE_RANK
> "analytical".  Why?  "analysis", after all, means "take apart".  They
> might be used for analysis, but window functions are every bit as
> synthetic as normal aggregate functions.)

Oracle call them "analytic functions":

SQL for Analysis and Reporting
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14072_01/server.112/e10810/analysis.htm

Analytic functions really brings SQL to a whole new level of functionality and
usefulness. Once one goes, errr, analytic, one never goes back.