Richard Hipp wrote:
The memory-mapped I/O is only enabled for windows, linux, mac OS-X, and
solaris.  We have found that it does not work on OpenBSD, for reasons we
have not yet been able to uncove; but as a precaution, memory mapped I/O is
disabled by default on all of the *BSDs until we understand the problem.

As I understand it, OpenBSD lacks a unified buffer cache. They reported problems with LMDB in its default mode, too. But FreeBSD should be OK. I don't know about any of the other BSD variants.

The biggest performance gains occur on windows, mac, and solaris.  The new
code is also faster on linux, but not by as big a factor.  The speed
improvement is also heavily dependent upon workload.  Some operations can
be almost twice as faster.  For others, there is no measurable speed
improvement.

Your feedback on whether or not the new code is faster for you, and whether
or not it even works for you, is very important to us.  Thanks for giving
the new code a try.

--
  -- Howard Chu