On 30/04/2013 12:59 PM, Richard Hipp wrote:
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Ryan Johnson
<ryan.john...@cs.utoronto.ca>wrote:

Hi all,

I'm running sqlite-3.7.13 on cygwin. Playing around with various TPC-H
queries with my class recently, I hit a strangely slow query and don't
understand why it's so slow.

http://www.sqlite.org/draft/queryplanner-ng.html
Nice. If you're willing to do quadratic work anyway, would it make sense to try and establish upper/lower bounds on the optimal solution to decide how much harder to work? I believe it's possible to find lower bounds for TSP using minimum spanning trees, and that computing the MST should be log-linear in the number of joins for most queries; if the "easy" NN=1 solution isn't too much higher than the lowest of a random selection of upper bounds, it's probably safe to stop looking; if the best upper bound is a *lot* lower (like the NN=1 result for Q8 being 14,000 times slower than the optimal), it probably justifies investing more time with an NNN search for that particular query, in hopes of bringing down the predicted runtime; the expected time difference could even be used to set the NNN factor...

Thoughts?
Ryan