I'd just like to add my penny's worth to this discussion.

We use a COMMENT to store information about the version of our tables that
are in place on the customer system.

Assume that we start with 'v1' of our tables that have 3 columns.

For a variety of reasons we might add a 4th column in 'v2'. Most of the time
we do not want to force our customers to upgrade their table definitions to
'v2' just so they can run the new version of our products. This means that
our new code has to cater for both 'v1' and 'v2' table definitions. A simple
way of doing this is to return the COMMENT which contain our 'version
number'.

Yes, there are other ways of doing this. But with a myriad of changes
possible (indexes, column definitions, triggers etc) we've found that the
use of a single place to store our version number makes the checking much
easier.

Regards,
Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
Tel: +44 (0) 118 9740191
Fax: +44 (0) 118 9740192
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com

Registered office address: The Oriel, Sydenham Road, Guildford, Surrey,
United Kingdom, GU1 3SR
Registered company number: 3917021 Registered in England and Wales.