On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Andrew Beal <ab...@whoi.edu> wrote:

> Our vendor provided a custom C compiler which is overflowing the stack
> with the increased depth of the call table which then overflows into other
> memory.

Your description above is ambiguous, but I interpret it to mean that it not
really the call stack depth that is the problem, but rather the size of the
stack.  This is a common problem on embedded systems.

Enabling SQLITE_SMALL_STACK will decrease the amount of stack space used by
SQLite.

You should also have an option in your build environment to increase the
amount of stack space allocated to the process.  I recommend you do so.
SQLite has been used in as little as 2KB of stack space before, but that
was several years ago.  Also, the amount of stack space used depends on the
complexity of your SQL statements.  (Simple SQL statements use much less
stack space then complex SQL statements.)

I recommend that you vary the size of the stack frame in your environment
until you find a size that works.  Then double that size so that you have a
good margin.
--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org