To get rid of the question of WHERE exactly the time is consumed, we did some
profiling on the application that run the query (using the 10000 tables test
DB).

As a result you will find an overview of time consumed per function (shown as
percentage of the total time) at this link:

http://www.coachrdevelopment.com/share/callstack_tree.html

This shows most time is spend on sqlite3CodeRowTriggerDirect.

Now the question remains IF this function is causing the polynomial increase in
time and if so, WHY it causes a polynomial increase in time and if there are
any optimizations possible.

We don't see it yet. Looking forward to any suggestions.

Best regards,
Harmen