PostgreSQL supports

Note that it allows an expression and not just a column name.

See:

  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createindex.html

Perhaps indexing the expression in question would be an alternative
that would keep the performance info separate from the select.

Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
tel: 1-877-GKX-GROUP
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com