I'm not truly against such a thing. But we need to remember the main use
for SQLite is to be small, fast, and "embedded". At least as best as I can
tell, it is not meant to compete with MariaDB (nee MySQL) or PostgreSQL. It
doesn't appear to be _committed_ to being 100% SQL compliant (as in exactly
matching the ANSI/ISO requirements). I can't say for sure, but would
somebody want to store 20 million rows in a SQLite data base? Why? I really
am curious. Perhaps I'm "out of touch" (won't be the first time). My use
for SQLite is for storing smallish amount of data which is dedicated to a
single application. My "large" data base needs are relegated to PostgreSQL
data bases.

IMO, the "proper" way to do this is just what you outlined. It is a "one
shot" and should not take long to run in most cases. Unless those million
row SQLite data bases are more prevalent than that I had ever thought

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 2:48 AM, mitzanu <mitz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's no ALTER COLUMN in sqlite.
>
> I believe the option is to:
>
> •Rename the table to a temporary name
> •Create a new table without the NOT NULL constraint
> •Copy the content of the old table to the new one
> •Remove the old table
>
> Can you guys implement ALTER COLUMN in sqlite? it would be a great feature.
>

> --

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown