If you want to try running with synchronous=NORMAL, you might try setting
PRAGMA wal_autocheckpoint=100000; (from the default of 1000) which will
make for dramatically larger WAL files, but also dramatically fewer syncs.
Then the syncs will use just 5 or 6 minutes instead of 4.5 hours. Hopefully.
<

Thanks for the tip! I will add that and combine it with synchronous=NORMAL.

The wal_autocheckpoint documentation is not that clear (IMHO) about how this
setting can impact performance.
Maybe adding a sentence to the documentation, explaining the relation
between wal_autocheckpoint, synch frequency and performance, would help
other (new) users.

If I set wal_autocheckpoint=10000, I will get 1/10 of the synchs and WAL
file of about 10 MB, correct?