On 25/01/14 18:41, James K. Lowden wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:56:32 +0200
Elefterios Stamatogiannakis <est...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wouldn't it be better instead of creating a new concept "row
constructor", to use the existing row constructors, also known as
virtual tables?

Perhaps.  I didn't make up the term; it exists in various other DBMSs,
sometimes called table value constructor.  I just wanted to make clear
that it's not new, and opens the potential for (I would say) better
queries, because they can be expressed in terms of tuples instead of
just scalars.

Yes i see what you mean and i agree. Furthermore, and to carry on a little more that train of thought, i hope that tuples will become possible as return values from SQLite's user defined functions.

If ever that becomes the case, then i suggest to go for "tuple generators" instead of materialized tuples as the return primitive. Materialized tuples as a primitive, have a lot of nasty side effects in a DB engine.

l.