Hello Rinat,

I compress my data into blobs using Gzip before insert, and decompress
when I read the blobs back out but, leave the other data in the DB
un-compressed. In that way, I get compression but, normal operations
remain fast. This works if the data to compress > 4Kish. My blobs can
be 200K to 20megs in size. If it's a bunch of small text columns, this
technique won't be useful.

HR> Hi Roger

HR> Where can I learn how to characterize my database?
HR> I work read-only, single connection.
HR> I have 13 tables, of which 2 are huge, 2 are medium and the rest are very
small.
HR> My huge tables have 3 columns: numeric, numeric and varchar with millions
of rows.
HR> I keep an index on the numeric columns.

HR> Does that bring up any column ordering suggestion?

HR> Thanks
HR> Rinat

Best regards,
 Teg                            mailto:t...@djii.com