Von: Hayden Livingston [mailto:halivings...@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Samstag, 31. Mai 2014 04:46
An: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Betreff: [sqlite] Storing opaque data, but would like sorted indexes on some
fields

I have a binary format that is effectively structured data.

I currently have multiple indexes but none of them are sorted, because in my
toy system ORDER BY's are not supported, an implicit ORDER BY time of record
inserted exists because it is a single threaded application.

My indexing story is that I know a priori what my index will be, and I just
double write them.

I want to support ORDER BY on basically one additional field, and I'm having a
hard time coming up with a solution that doesn't involved effectively writing
on my B+Tree which has knowledge of my serialization binary format.

I've thought to myself, maybe I could just store a duplicate copy of the data
sorted by this field into SQLite. The data footprint is not small, but I'm
willing to pay that disk cost if that's the only option.

My only concern with moving to SQLite is performance design decisions that are
built into a database. My system is basically only doing the work needed to
iterate over my data. No concurrency, sequential reads.

When/If I move to SQLite, what kind of things will I start to pay for?
Concurrency? Other fluff data structure needs for SQLite?

Obviously I imagine that whatever field I choose to get a sorted index on, I
expose as it as a field.

Then the non SQLite question: how much work would it be to duplicate a B-tree
like data structure for my binary data?

Gunter Hick
Software Engineer

Scientific Games International GmbH
Klitschgasse 2 – 4, A - 1130 Vienna,
Austria
FN 157284 a, HG Wien
Tel: +43 1 80100 0
E-Mail: h...@scigames.at

This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you
have received it in error, you are on notice as to its status and accordingly
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then
purposes, or disclose its contents to any person as to do so could be a breach
of confidence. Thank you for your cooperation.