- wrote:
>> Are you using a list view, or paging?  The scrolling
>> cursor method is appropriate only for the latter.
>
> I'm using a report-style listview.  And to be honest, I have no idea what a
> "paging" component looks like (I'm using standard windows components).

This would be a list without scroll bar but with previous/next page
buttons; mostly used in HTML pages.

(Without prev/next, you do not have the previous row whose values you
could use as basis for fetching the next rows.)

>> The easiest way to handle a list view would be to
>> read the primary key of _all_ records in the correct
>> order into your application.
>
> True.  But as its my intention to create a generic SQLite3 viewer I have no
> idea if the computer its used on will have enough memory to store such a
> list, as the size of the database is unknown ....

When you have a table with millions of rows, and the user happens to
scroll to the 1234567th row, how do you get that row without knowing its
rowid or primary key?

And for huge tables, "browsing" does not make sense.  Even if there were
some interesting value in some row, you wouldn't be able to find it.

> What I was thinking about was something in the line of "continue/start from
> rowID {ID}".

This is possible (if the table was not declared with WITHOUT ROWID, and
if there are no other columns named rowid, _rowid_, or oid).  However,
in a list view, you are not guaranteed to know the rowid to start from.

Regards,
Clemens