On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 20:56:24 -0400
Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> > http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/vocabulary/backward-backwards.htm
> >
> > Two countries divided by a common tongue.
> >
> Except, I speak Southern English, not British English. And I can
> promise you that we southerners prefer to add the "s" to the end of
> "backwards". I'm not sure PerfectYourEnglish necessarily has all
> their facts straight.

Oh, I'm sure you're right on both counts.  You know what form you
prefer, and jrandomsite.com shouldn't be assumed to be an authority.
(When it comes to English usage in particular, there's a lot more
pretended and presumptive authority on the web than actual.)  I was
just pointing out that the with-or-without-s is question (at least)
regional, and extends to words other than backwards.

You may recognize the lines

        Kiss today goodbye
        And point me toward tomorrow

If ever you happen to be practicing that in a chorus, don't be too
surprised if it takes more than a few tries before everyone understands
there's no "s" (as written) in second line.  You might could spend
the better part of an hour on it.  Don't ask me how I know.

--jkl