On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Petite Abeille <petite.abei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2014, at 3:01 PM, Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Asked differently, if adding this support, could this be done by adding
>> virtual / computed columns to tables, and indexing those columns?
>
> Ohohohoho… virtual columns [1][2]…. yes… shinny! :)
>
> Now that would be rather cool.
>
> On the other hand, if one had to choose, I would rather see a MERGE
> statement, than some funky virtual columns.
>
> While virtual columns are handy at time, they are a bit exotic, all things
> being equal.
>
> On the other hand, MERGE is a must have. No amount of creative select +
> insert + update concoctions can begin to compensate for its absence in
> SQLite. A huge gap altogether.
>

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_column
> [2] http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/11g/virtual-columns-11gr1.php

Those are _both_ nice features. I don't know for sure, but somehow it
seems that virtual columns would be easier to implement. OTOH, I
really like what I've just read about the MERGE statement. I only use
SQLite and PostgreSQL. So I had never heard of MERGE before, but the
Oracle documentation on them, and the example, look interesting.

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown