jq looks very interesting.  I have a simplistic filtering syntax to work
with right now, as part of a third-party API definition that my system
needs to support, but it doesn't support querying into nested structures.
 jq looks like just the ticket for that.  I'm sure I'll take a look when
the time comes to extend my system to support nesting properly.

If I end up using jq with sqlite-as-it-is-now, I'd do it on deserialized
JSON values that I've already fetched from sqlite.

But I, too, would love to have native json support internally in sqlite, so
+1 to this idea:

https://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@sqlite.org/msg85934.html

something like that seems like its probably a necessary first step to being
able to build a JSON index on disk.