It's a good question; and it doesn't look like there is a great way of
turning off that feature other than SQLITE_THREADSAFE=0, which you might not
want for other reasons.

I would suggest to the maintainers, though, that CreateThread be used by
'default', unless _MSC_VER is defined, (which means msvc is being used to
compile), since this is a MSVC-specific concept.  I'm a little surprised
that <process.h> is not also giving you trouble, but I guess the other
compiler vendors targetting Windows made their own version of it.

I don't know what the feature is for, but a cursory scan seems to show it's
for a background sorter.  I'm also a little surprised there is not a
SQLITE_OMIT_XXX around it, as well.

Oh well, there's always 3.8.6 while you wait for a fix.

-dave