I am doing the following, which causes a crash:

  sqlite3_mutex_enter(sqlite3_mutex_alloc(SQLITE_MUTEX_STATIC_MASTER));

The crash occus if this is the first sqlite call I make.  Looking at the
source, there is a line:
if( id<=SQLITE_MUTEX_RECURSIVE && sqlite3_initialize() ) return 0;

Since the mutex I am getting is a static one, sqlite3_initialize() is not
called, and so all the fxn ptrs for the mutex impl are NULL, and crashing
ensues.

I work around this by making an explicit call to sqlite3_initialize() prior
to the line I describe above, but I ask this question in case the 'id
side-steps init()' logic is done for some reason I don't understand.
Otherwise, it looks like a logic error to me.  Any advice appreciated.

tia,
-dave