I'll add the results from the latest test that was running for the last 2
hours:

This time I did not use intermediate commits. Instead, I dropped the table
indexes before the bulk insert started and re-created them at the end.

The results after a few tables (most of them small, a few contained
50000-100000 records, one table contained 3.4 mil records):
WAL size = 599 MB (instead of original 7 GB)
DB size = 662 MB
Index rebuild of the huge table took 114 secs.

So it was definitely the index that caused the huge WAL size.