I have a single threaded application, which at its heart is

while (true) {
        open a database // any one of thousands, so I can’t just keep it open
        do a select
        close the database
}

With that part unchanged, does anyone have any optimization suggestions? I am
compiling the amalgamation myself, so I’m open to both compile time and run
time options. I don’t need to worry about other processes updating the
database. I’m not looking for SQL advice at this time.

Openning the database with SQLITE_OPEN_READONLY was an enourmous help.
Explicitly turning off threading didn’t seem to help much. Changing my compiler
optimization level from -O2 to -O3 (gcc 4.4) made it larger but no faster.

many thanks,
adj