The scanner always automatically loads the Replay Gain tags from my FLAC
files (for both track and album).  Replay Gain gives a good indication
of relative dynamic range, referred to the reference level of -14dB.  I
find that the tracks with the better range have a Replay Gain of around
0 (the reference level) and the louder, compressed tracks are more like
-10 (meaning they are 10dB too loud).  I view the tags from the track
info "view tags" option.  I am not sure if Replay Gain is available for
other file types as mine are mainly FLAC.

Murray (N.Z.)