mherger wrote:
> > The node tool is in the cloud- it implements the skill logic.
>
> In a cloud service which is under your control? Or would other users
> have to subscribe to that service, too? I'm not sure how this is
> running, as from looking at the node-red website it seems it was
> something you'd have install on your system (they suggest a Pi).
> --
>
> Michael

The general flow of a skill is;

1. User issues a voice command to the skill on local echo
2. Echo send the request to the skill on Amazon servers
3. The skill is configured with an endpoint to which the user request is
direct
4. The endpoint code implements the skill logic and returns the output
to the skill on Amazon servers
5. Amazon returns the output to the local echo

For building the endpoint, users can use the Amazon Lambda service or
redirect to their own application server. The only pre-requsite in the
case of using your own server is that it have a valid, Amazon-recognised
SSL cert in place as all comms is over HTTPS.

In my case, I chose to use node-RED for my endpoint but I could just as
easily have used php, .net etc. So to answer your initial questions,
yes, it's a cloud service which is under my exclusive control.

The end-user does not need to have this logic installed on their local
systems or need to subscribe to the cleaned service. All they need is
the plug-in which matches their inbound IP and port with their user ID.
This is saved to a remote mySQL DB which lets the skill logic know where
to send commands when received from that user.

Not wishing to confuse matters, but for development purposes, I run
Node-Red on my local development server. Eventually, though, I'll likely
move this logic to something like an IBM Bluemix instance which supports
Node-Red (it's owned by IBM now).

I've had a look at the security issue and I'm fairly confident I can
build a http proxy into the LMS plugin. This will negate the requirement
for the user to expose their entire LMS to the internet. They will
simply open a port to the discrete plug-in and I can build
authentication code there to verify that requests are indeed coming from
the skill.