Both cases in this thread appear to be problems with newly added music.
Before I add a new album of flac tracks from either a rip or download I
run dbPoweramp on the album to calculate replay gain and convert the
files to -8 (the highest level of flac compression). That way if there
is any corruption in the files dbPoweramp flags it and I can re-rip,
re-download or just plain delete the offending track before adding it to
my LMS library.
For MP3 I use Foobar2000 to calculate the replay gain and save to tags.
I then use Irfanview to check the cover art.
Since following this procedure I have never had a scanner crash.

A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.